Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Never Ending Project: Porch Reveal

Whew!  We. are. done. And exhausted!  It only took us ten months to get to this point.

Giggle.  Did I really just say "only took us ten months"?

I must be delusional.  That is the only explanation.

Oh well, on with the show tour, folks!

First, I'm going to take you back.  Waaaay back.  This was a picture taken on the day we closed on our house.  

 

Can you even see the porch?  

Let's see what that view looks like today, shall we?

 

I think the house just took a deep breath and released it slowly. SIGH.

At this point, I should mention that the porch is not done. It's close, but we have some finishing touches that we are working on completing that I'll show you when we finish them.  Plus, we still need to add gutters and a new roof.  But the building is done and we are so happy with our results!

Ok, back to the fun stuff.  This was taken day one of demolition.  We had no idea what we were getting into.




We knew the porch was in bad shape based on the house inspection.  But we were still surprised to see what was lurking under all the cosmetic band aides.


SIGH. This time, it's me you hear breathing a sigh of relief.


The biggest change that we made to the porch was the ceiling.  Previously, the ceiling was level with the brick which is just under 71/2 feet. When we tore down the rotten ceiling and saw the slope of the joists, we decided to follow that line and gain the extra head space.


While we had the DIY construction crew here, we picked their brains about the porch.  They strongly encouraged us not to do this.  They warned us of all the tedious measuring and cutting that it would involve.  But Bryan (along with Bindi) was set on putting a ceiling fan out here.  The fan has to be seven feet from the floor and there was not enough space unless we went with the sloped ceiling.  And yes, it took a lot of tedious cuts to get this result, but it was so worth it!



Our house faces south so some shade is a necessity.  An easy solution was to add curtains.  They're crisp and clean and cozy.

Previously, our porch did not make a good impression.  More than once, we've had visitors exclaim how nice our house is once they step through the front door.  They're pleasantly surprised mostly because they think it'll be as dark and depressing as the porch used to be.


I don't think that's the case anymore!  Not only does it make a good first impression, no haints are getting in!

To see more of our porch renovation, click here. 

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this porch is my husbands first foray into building.  Anything.  As in, never worked with a table saw, hand saw, jig saw or even touched a saw before.  But wood working was something that had always interested him, he just never had a space in which to do it before.  It was a lot of trial and error, blood and sweat and just a few tears.  Mostly mine.  And only tears of joy!  I had no doubt that he could do this!  Little does he know the plans I now have for him--everywhere I look in our house, I'm picturing built-ins and moldings and shelves and everything custom, custom, custom!  But I'll give him a little time off first.  :)

27 comments:

  1. Can I just say whoa!! looks pretty all the detail the painted light blue ciealing looks very very pretty! I also like the swing and chairs and the ceiling fan prefect!!! great job - wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sooooo BEAUTIFUL! I think my favorite part is the ceiling!! It was totally worth all of the hard work :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The porch looks great! And I love the color of your front door. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great! love the ceiling fan and the ledge for artwork. so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!!!! Your hubby did a great job for his first time!! I'd hire him. Great color choice on the door and shutters. And I am very jealous of your porch swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karrie,

    Your porch is beautiful! Hailie says she wants to come live with you at your house. Her favorite is the porch swing:) I need to come visit you soon...I want to see your new master too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is so gorgeous. Like breathtaking. And such a huge difference! I am loving it. That porch looks so inviting and ow clever to put a fan out there. I bet you will have many wonderful days and evenings sitting on that porch. Maybe throwing back a few cocktails? Perfect place for it. Just in time for summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out fantastic. I definitely agree with going to the trouble to slope the ceiling, as I assume a flat ceiling would have been level with the lower end. That makes a huge difference in size. Also, the traditional light blue paint on the ceiling is an excellent touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, send Hailie my way! Yes, please visit soon and I so badly want to see pictures of your new place!

    Turling, yes, the previous ceiling was even to the lower portion of our porch now. The added height makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH my! I absolutely love it! The porch looks super great, I like the curtain behind the swing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ceiling is awesome!! All of it...and the swing, swoon! Great job, just in time for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh yes, just as I said yesterday, that ceiling is fantastic. And I love the story about the haints! The curtains were such a good idea too. They really give a nice dose of softness. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOWZA!!! It's beautiful! I love the blue and white - it really is a breath of fresh air. I can imagine how much work that was! Oh, and I can relate to the tears. :) Having a handy husband sure is nice, huh?! Kudos to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! It looks amazing. Great work I am so impressed. That was a huge job and the results are well worth it! I love your porch swing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous. The slanted ceiling with the ceiling fan was so worth the extra effort. It truly is a transformation.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  16. That right there is exactly why a front porch was on our wish list (...which obviously we didn't get.) It's gorgeous! I think the sloped ceiling is my favorite part; tell your hubby it was totally worth all the annoying cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great! Do you want to come up to Michigan to update mine now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable, that ceiling is amazing! This is quite an accomplishment, especially since the hubby was learning as he went. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I spotted your house, I'd totally stop my car immediately! It's so charming and has so much more personality now! What a transformation! I LOVE the ceiling, and that door....my oh my, talk about perfection! It must be an absolute joy to come home to every day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Erin, thank you so much for stopping by and especially for your kind words! I was hoping you'd like the door. You know, you are a girl after my own heart with your love of turquoise. I'm so glad you blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your porch looks SO great!! i could sit out there all day and drink sangria :) love the blue on the ceiling and the door. very impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, it's beautiful! I'm so inspired to go tackle our front porch now. Ours is a sad and sorry mess currently, but I hope it looks something like yours after a little TLC. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YAY! That looks great. I like the colour that you painted the door. It pops against the brick.

    I've been debating painting my door as well. But ... I am far less ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! What a transformation! I love the blue color on the door and the porch ceiling. So very very pretty! Visiting from the Kristin's door linky party...
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. AMAZING!! What a tremendous amount of work, but what a gorgeous end result. Love the painted door! Janell

    ReplyDelete